IELTS (International English Language Testing System) has been designed by some of the leading experts in the field of language assessment. Being the most reliable English proficiency test, it is widely accepted across the world by educational bodies, agencies, and employers. The test assesses the language abilities of an individual across four sections: reading, speaking, writing, and listening. The main aim of conducting an IELTS exam is to make sure that an individual is fluent in English and can easily converse with a native English speaker.
The significance of the IELTS test for migration can’t be neglected. Students who wish to move to a different country need to take the IELTS test. To sustain and express themselves in a migratory country, an individual should have the ability to communicate in English. Every year, millions of candidates appear for the IELTS test to migrate around the world for study.
Why is IELTS so important?
Students planning to migrate to another country must take IELTS. The certification of an IELTS score can be used for various purposes, including the following:
- Assess and develop your language proficiency. Migrants from non-native communities can assess their language proficiency in four sections: speaking, reading, writing, and listening. When you take the IELTS test, it checks your English proficiency against the strict and world-class standard.
- Important for migration: International students who want to go to college abroad should have a valid IELTS score. IELTS scores ensure that you have a good command of the language.
- High visa success rate: Possession of an IELTS score ensures higher chances for faster visa approval. It is easier to apply for a visa when you have your IELTS score in hand. IELTS can be a quick way to your visa application.
- Widely accepted: IELTS is the most reliable English test, and many people use it. Almost all countries around the world accept the IELTS test. IELTS is the gold standard of English language testing, from small education bodies to large institutions.
- Test for professionals: Professional agencies hire employees from many fields, including law, medicine, accounting, engineering, and others. To work in that country, a professional must have an IELTS score.
- Motivated to study hard: Students preparing for IELTS will be motivated to study hard until their goal of achieving their desired IELTS score is achieved.
Where do students struggle?
IELTS is not an easy exam to crack; students tend to struggle to get the best IELTS score. To get admission into their dream university, students struggle hard. The following factors can add to an individual’s struggle to do well in the exam:
Poor vocabulary: Most students don’t have a well-developed vocabulary, which is why they don’t do well in tests. The expression of students might be hampered due to limited vocabulary.
Lack of proper pronunciation: Speaking tests are all about pronouncing each word correctly. The correct pronunciation is evidence of your fluency and accuracy concerning language. In the event that a student mispronounces any word, there are higher chances that there is deduction in their IELTS score.
Zero concentration: Most students can’t learn because they don’t pay attention when they’re studying, so they can’t understand what they’re reading. Lack of concentration can lead to missing out on important details and even forgetting information after studying. It is important to understand the concept with full concentration for the retention of information.
Spelling mistake: A spelling mistake is one of the factors that might hamper the smooth flow of the test. The foundation of the writing section is correct spelling, and spelling errors will have a significant impact on a student’s IELTS score. But, a student can avoid these errors by starting paying attention to the spellings while studying.
Lack of time management: Another reason students struggle is time management. Most of the time, students are in a rush to pass the exam, so they just end up messing up. Proper time management is a necessity to pass the exam. Plus, a candidate should try to divide the time to focus on each module.
Less preparation: Students often take the test lightly and think it is easy to crack the exam. Because of this attitude, they tend to prepare for less time. Even so, most of the time, students are not aware of the topics covered in the exam, which ultimately leads to less preparation on their part.
A basic guide to getting good marks:
In a nutshell, to do well on the IELTS exam, a student should try to remember the following:
- Start preparing early. Be an early bird and start preparing for your test in advance. Once you start preparing early, you will have time to devote to each module. Even though you have the advantage of preparing early, at the end of your preparation you can practice previous year’s question papers.
- Take a diagnostic test: If you are lost as to where you should start preparing, then take a diagnostic test. Taking a diagnostic test before you start preparing will help you understand where to focus. Awareness of the sections you are having difficulty with can be rectified with proper preparation.
- Equip yourself with new words: Enrich your vocabulary by trying to add 10 new words to your list every day. You can add more words to your list by reading news, novels, and magazines in English. But to retain these words in your memory, you should try to use them in your daily life.
- Read daily: Read newspapers, magazines, and books every day to get into the habit of reading and improve your reading skills. Reading every day will help you comprehend the details easily.
- Nourish each skill: Give time to nourish each skill—writing, reading, speaking, and listening. An individual cannot skip any particular skill since each module is based on a different skill. Also try to give time to each skill; it would be helpful in boosting your IELTS score.
- Work on listening skills: Try to listen to English news, songs, and movies to become fluent in the language. While listening to the news, try to focus on the pronunciation of people at the same time pay attention to different accents.
- Enhance your writing skill: The writing section in IELTS consists of different types of questions, so it is better to focus on it. Make sure you are planning before writing to avoid uncertain mistakes.
- Attempt practice papers: Attempting previous year’s question papers or practice papers will give you an idea of the format of the question paper. Knowing the format of question papers will be helpful in shifting your focus to the kind of questions asked in the paper.
- Expose yourself more to the English culture: Living in a non-native community is a major drawback for most students. An individual should try to become more familiar with the English language. Exposure to the English language will make you fluent, and your chances of cracking the exam will certainly increase.
- Practice Daily: It is beneficial to practice daily. Practice any mock test or even a module daily so that there won’t be much burden on an individual. Also, while attempting different questions daily, you would be able to learn the different aspects of questions.
IELTS measures your listening, speaking, reading, and writing abilities. Students who wish to migrate abroad for study or work purposes need to nourish their skills. It is only possible to nourish your skills once the preparation task is done smoothly. But before preparing, you need to understand the format of the test. Understanding and comprehending the exam format is easier when you get expert guidance.
Students who wish to migrate abroad for study or work purposes need to nourish their skills. It is only possible to nourish your skills once the preparation task is done smoothly. But before preparing, you need to understand the format of the test. Understanding and comprehending the exam format is easier when you get expert guidance. IELTS has two types of tests: academic and general. Both these modules have different approaches, and it becomes quite tough to know which one is best for you and why.
Experts at the IELTS coaching institute will be able to guide students and let them know which module is best for them. The IELTS expert will assist students throughout their IELTS preparation. To ace the IELTS exam preparation, an individual can consult one of the best IELTS coaching institutes, IOA Global in Delhi. IOA Global will help you get the desired IELTS score, and to achieve the best score, you should join the best IELTS coaching.
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is an English language proficiency test. There are four modules in the test, including reading, writing, listening, and speaking. A student moving abroad should have a good command of the English language. Being proficient in the English language helps you easily communicate with natives and understand the lessons. To be proficient in the language and score a good band in IELTS, join the best IELTS coaching in Delhi at IOA Global. IOA Global will help you understand the IELTS format better and guide you throughout your preparation.